2019 LEGACY OF PLAY CONTEST FOR $25,000
Kiwanis International teams up with Kiwanis partner Landscape Structures to give one Kiwanis club $25,000 (US) in playground equipment to be used toward a Landscape Structures playground project of their choice. The contest is open to all Kiwanis clubs who agree to complete their project on or around Kiwanis One Day 2020, Kiwanis International’s signature day of service. Entries will be accepted through Friday, May 10. Following the submission period, Facebook users will have the opportunity to vote on their favorite project; this is a great way for Kiwanis clubs to engage their community and gather support for and awareness of their project! A jury will select the winner from the top 10 vote recipients and the winner will be announced on or around June 7.
The Legacy of Play Contest celebrates the shared belief that investing in communities through legacy signature projects is important to the success of a Kiwanis club. Plus, Landscape Structures’ emphasis on inclusive play is also important to Kiwanis because it highlights their goal to bring play to all children.
- Entry period: April 12, 2019 through 11:59:59 p.m. EDT on May 10, 2019
- Voting period: 12:00 p.m. EDT on May 15, 2019 through 11:59:59 a.m. EDT on May 29, 2019
- Winner announced: On or around June 7, 2019
- The 2018 winners is the Kiwanis Club of Marietta, Ohio, USA.
- The 2017 winner is the Kiwanis Club of Mankato, Minnesota, USA.
Need help with your entry?
- Marcia Stewart, 2017-18 president of the Kiwanis Club of Marietta, reports how she got the community involved in the 2018 winning entry. Click Here
- Wilber Neushwander-Fink, member of the Kiwanis Club of Mankato, Minnesota, which was the winner of the 2017 Legacy of Play Contest offers other tips and advice for your submission. And, previous judges explain why some submissions raised red flags. Click Here
Possible additional funding
The Kiwanis Children’s Fund provides grants for Kiwanis-led service projects that focus on health, education and youth leadership development. Clubs interested in applying for a grant for a playground project should review the program material carefully to learn about the Children’s Fund as a potential funding partner. Check out the Club Grant program for eligibility requirements, important dates and additional resources.
Keurig, Dr Pepper & KaBOOM! have teamed up to offer $15,000 grants to be used toward purchasing playground equipment. Grantees will lead their community through a self-guided planning process, using the $15,000 grant towards the total cost of playground equipment and assembling the playground using the KaBOOM! community-build model. Grantees have up to one year to build the playground and will have the support of a remote KaBOOM! Grants Manager and an onsite Certified Playground Installer. Learn more about the community build model in the Build a Playground Toolkit.
Funding Application Deadlines
- Round 1: January 19
- Round 2: May 4
- Round 3: September 4